You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Oranges from Peel to Pulp
01-02-2010, 05:22 PM
 (Print Post)
Oranges from Peel to Pulp
Oranges are a very healthy for you, which most people know. However, usually only the juice of the orange is used and the rest is discarded. We were recently given a bushel of oranges and faced with the challenge of using or preserving them before they went bad.

Obviously we juiced the oranges and froze the juice, but that's a no brainer that offers no challenge.

The pulp left after juicing can be substituted in any bread or muffin recipe that calls a fruit or a vegetable. We made orange muffins that were very delicious from fresh pulp. Then we divided the rest of the pulp into ziplock baggies and froze them for later use.

Additionally orange peel has numerous uses besides just composting. Here are a few of the things we are experimenting with.

orange zest Dried zest can be added to recipes as a flavoring.

bath powder We have dried and ground the peel into bath powder. Zesting the peel before drying makes the powder have a richer color... the pith greatly lightens the color of the powder.

potpourri The peel can be dried and added to a dried potpourri arrangement, or it can be simmered with a cinnamon stick and some clovesin a small amount of water (in our liquid potpourri, we used the stem pieces that would be too hard to grind---that way we didn't waste any good peel).

candied orange peels We zested the peels into big strips then boiled with a teaspoon of salt for about 15 min. Drain and boil again for 20 min, drain and boil a third time for 20 minutes. Then we drained and added 3 cups sugar and 1 cup water and boiled for about 10 minutes (until translucent), stirring constantly. Be careful to not let it scorch. Then we laid the peels on wax paper to dry and sprinkled with a little sugar. This only lasts unrefrigerated for about a week, but we prefer to keep it in the freezer...it improves the flavor and texture. This is a big hit in my family---it tastes like the commercial orange slices. Then, the syrup left over from the candied orange peels will make an excellent pancake syrup as well.

The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer;
my God, my strength, in whom I will trust;
my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.
Psalm 18:2
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2010, 03:17 PM
 (Print Post)
RE: Oranges from Peel to Pulp
Bath powder? Whodathunkit?

Brother, can you post some more of this sort of healthy-lifestyle-change type of stuff, please? If there's one area that I consistently am below par at, it's my diet. I can't tell you how long I've been trying (just not overly hard) to get away from processed food, too much sugar, etc.

"The past is prologue,
the present is unparalleled,
and the future is as great as our faith in God."

Dr. W. F. Powell
Find all posts by this user
01-05-2010, 04:01 PM
 (Print Post)
(01-02-2010 05:22 PM)Daniel Wrote:  bath powder We have dried and ground the peel into bath powder. Zesting the peel before drying makes the powder have a richer color... the pith greatly lightens the color of the powder.

I just finished reading a wonderful book about Marie Antoinette that I'm very sorry to say is over (why must good books end?) There were several delightful and lovely descriptions of how she loved orange slices in her bath.
01-05-2010, 04:08 PM
 (Print Post)
(01-05-2010 03:17 PM)Laura Wrote:  Bath powder? Whodathunkit?

Brother, can you post some more of this sort of healthy-lifestyle-change type of stuff, please? If there's one area that I consistently am below par at, it's my diet. I can't tell you how long I've been trying (just not overly hard) to get away from processed food, too much sugar, etc.

I will try, as time permits, to post more. Usually I post stuff as it is happening. We were preserving oranges last week so that got posted. This week we are working on preserving apples, so I hope to post something about that soon.

01-05-2010, 04:10 PM
 (Print Post)
(01-05-2010 04:01 PM)Lynne Wrote:  I just finished reading a wonderful book about Marie Antoinette that I'm very sorry to say is over (why must good books end?) There were several delightful and lovely descriptions of how she loved orange slices in her bath.

Haaa, I must admit the bath powder stuff is more for my wife, I lean more towards the candied peels :-D

01-05-2010, 04:24 PM
 (Print Post)
How much juice did a bushel of oranges make?

"The past is prologue,
the present is unparalleled,
and the future is as great as our faith in God."

Dr. W. F. Powell
01-05-2010, 05:28 PM
 (Print Post)
Bushel is an estimate, we received the oranges over the course of a week and processed them as we got them. I know it was more than half a bushel, but it may not have been a complete bushel. Anyway, we put up at least 10 quarts of juice, made 3 quarts of candied peels, 24 cups of pulp (2 cups per ziplock bag, the bread & muffin recipes call for 2 cups), and 2 or 3 gallons of peel we are drying for other things.

01-05-2010, 06:11 PM
 (Print Post)
(01-05-2010 04:10 PM)Daniel Wrote:  
(01-05-2010 04:01 PM)Lynne Wrote:  I just finished reading a wonderful book about Marie Antoinette that I'm very sorry to say is over (why must good books end?) There were several delightful and lovely descriptions of how she loved orange slices in her bath.

Haaa, I must admit the bath powder stuff is more for my wife, I lean more towards the candied peels :-D

Rofl

Anyone who hunts javelina is free to take an orange peel bath.