You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How much does your church pay the pianist?
12-20-2009, 10:07 PM
 (Print Post)
How much does your church pay the pianist?
We have a situation going on at church. Times are hard and we've had to make quite a few cuts to the budget, and the question has arisen if we are paying the piano player too much money. We currently employee a man (not a member of the church) to play the piano, but only on Sunday mornings, we go CoC style on Sunday night and Wednesday.

So we are curious and researching how much piano players are normally compensated. Several of our members are calling around and I thought about this group.

I would appreciate anyone, who is willing, to let me know (either in this thread or by PM) if your church compensates their piano player and if so, how much, how many services they play, and the average attendance of the church.

The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer;
my God, my strength, in whom I will trust;
my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.
Psalm 18:2
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-20-2009, 10:36 PM
 (Print Post)
RE: How much does your church pay the pianist?
Currently we only have one person on payroll, and that's the pastor. Our previous piano player did it as a labour of love and ministry, but she had to retire from active service after she had open heart surgery in May. She's one of our dear senior saints, and she didn't recover from this surgery nearly as well as everyone had hoped.

However, when we switched pastors a couple of months ago, we acquired a replacement pianist in the new pastor's wife. So our pianist became a part of the package deal with the pastor, I guess you could say....

We're facing a different sort of situation - I'm supposed to issue the quarterly missions cheques in a couple of weeks and my ledger says we're short of funds. Like by about half. I have no doubt that God will supply; it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

"The past is prologue,
the present is unparalleled,
and the future is as great as our faith in God."

Dr. W. F. Powell
Find all posts by this user
12-21-2009, 06:25 PM
 (Print Post)
In our church the pastor gets paid, and one of the members gets reimbursed for cleaning the church, the classrooms, and the fellowship hall.

We do not pay our piano player(s), but at Christmas time they get a small check of appreciation. We're blessed to have three members who can play the piano, although one does it most of the time: the other two 'fill in' as needed.

Isn't there anyone in your church who can play the piano, Daniel?
Confused

Knit
Please pray for Wesley, Ron, for Matthew, Eleanor & John and Rod for salvation! Pray Pray for Delores, Drew, Lynne, William, Heather, Marty, Noel, Laura, Ben and Shelly
Please check out our prayer chain here
ISRAEL
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem
“We will have peace with the Arabs when they love their children more than they hate us.” - Golda Meir
12-21-2009, 08:30 PM
 (Print Post)
There is a method to my madness I assure you. I am gathering data to present a case and my point is nearly proven. I will elaborate later. I appreciate the replies. Thank you.

The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer;
my God, my strength, in whom I will trust;
my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.
Psalm 18:2
12-22-2009, 01:12 PM
 (Print Post)
Just as a postscript:

A couple of years ago, before we left our old church, we heard that the new music director was considering 'hiring professional musicians' for the Christmas play. That bothered me, a lot, and was one of the things that weighed in favor of leaving that church.

Then, last year, a friend of ours who used to go to that church (and who had been recruited to come back to it, but declined) was offered money to play his musical instrument for the play, even though he no longer was a member there.

Does someone else see something wrong with this picture?

People should be doing what they can in order to help the church, not just giving money but giving talent, sharing the gifts that the Lord gave them, for His glory and not for a 'show' to the world.

Knit
Please pray for Wesley, Ron, for Matthew, Eleanor & John and Rod for salvation! Pray Pray for Delores, Drew, Lynne, William, Heather, Marty, Noel, Laura, Ben and Shelly
Please check out our prayer chain here
ISRAEL
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem
“We will have peace with the Arabs when they love their children more than they hate us.” - Golda Meir
12-24-2009, 03:26 AM
 (Print Post)
I also thought much about the question (since we think we need to have someone who can really focus on the music ministry of our church), but Here Am I's post has given me ideas, too.

By the way, how about paying the pastor less than $50 for preaching, playing the piano, teaching the choir, and driving the jeepney? :laughi10: Such case is indeed unique, but saves a lot for a low-income church in a third world situation! :preach10:

12-26-2009, 07:20 PM
 (Print Post)
I'm generally not in favor of hiring outside professionals to do things like play the piano in a church, although I wouldn't get dogmatic about it. I would find someone in the congregation, maybe a high school student, even if he or she were all thumbs, to just plunk along and do their best, until someone more gifted came along - - - or we'd sing a cappella, "CoC style," as Daniel calls it.

I simply think the Lord regards a congregation as a little family of believers, and wants them to sing (or play) His praises because of love and joy, not because they're getting paid for it.

However: I would have no problem at all in "paying" a regular pianist, or choir director, who was an active member of the church: maybe a "love gift" once in a while, or something like that. In fact, I think that would be nice. But that would be a gesture of appreciation, not a "fee."

I don't even like hiring an outside plumber, if there are men in the congregation who can do the work!

But that's just my opinion.

12-28-2009, 01:48 AM
 (Print Post)
In the OT, even "plumbers" of the Tabernacle had to be Spirit-filled.

01-16-2010, 06:14 PM
 (Print Post)
That's the first time I've ever heard of a pianist being a paid position, or even bringing someone from outside the church in to play the piano. We have a small church, and for a long time we didn't have a pianist. So, my wife is taking piano lessons and is now playing for us. I believe that the church could pay for the piano lessons if someone was willing to play and didn't know how and wanted to try. Also as William said, I don't see anything wrong with throwing a love offering to the piano player once in a great while.

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Romans 4:5)
01-17-2010, 09:47 PM
 (Print Post)
If I'm gonna answer the question of how much we pay our church pianist, the answer would be: :quote: NOTHING.:quote:

For two reasons:
1. I am the church pianist of the church which I pastor.
2. All the other pianists are my free piano students!:1thumb10:

I'm following the principle: "Don't hire a pianist. Get a soulwinner and train him/her."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Church Sign Terrance 7 102 04-05-2014 01:18 PM
Last Post: Bibelleauwer
  Beer & Church? Daniel 6 503 11-05-2013 06:55 PM
Last Post: kwilliams3001
  Bible Baptist Church/Bookstore KrinkleGator 5 628 10-15-2013 01:30 PM
Last Post: Laura
  Church Links Here Am I 10 4,856 08-03-2013 04:48 PM
Last Post: JoshOwens