You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Yahweh: A pagan god
09-06-2010, 02:41 PM
 (Print Post)
Yahweh: A pagan god
Brethren, a situation has arisen at church and I am interested in materials denouncing the erroneous belief that Yahweh is a name of our God. LifeWay Christian Resources, Bible Teaching for Kids and the Holman Christian Standard Bible (or more precisely Horribly Corrupt & Satanic Bible) are perpetuating this gross lie. G.A. Riplinger in In Awe of the Word has an excellent chapter devoted to this topic and I plan to use it for much of my apology; however, I would like to incorporate some other materials and would also appreciate some discussion in this forum on the topic.

The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer;
my God, my strength, in whom I will trust;
my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.
Psalm 18:2
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2010, 08:21 AM
 (Print Post)
RE: Yahweh: A Pagan God
Thank you for raising this subject, brother. It is so important that it is mentioned in Section 3 of What We Believe, and it is one of the most popular misconceptions in the church today. I'll look forward to seeing what insights the brethren can provide. I agree that Riplinger's discussion is the best treatment of the subject I've seen.

Now Playing at the Blog:
"Beware the Easter Bunny"

ISRAEL
09-07-2010, 04:22 PM
 (Print Post)
The more I read about this, the madder I am becoming. Brother, I am angry. I have got a bone to chew now.

I never cease to be amazed by the blazing ignorance of people who are supposed to be intelligent.

I just found John Gills A Dissertation Concerning the Antiquity of the Hebrew Language, Letters, Vowel-Points, and Accents available online at godrules.net

I'm going to be busy reading a while.

09-07-2010, 04:54 PM
 (Print Post)
(09-07-2010 04:22 PM)Daniel Wrote:  The more I read about this, the madder I am becoming. Brother, I am angry. I have got a bone to chew now.

I never cease to be amazed by the blazing ignorance of people who are supposed to be intelligent.

I just found John Gills A Dissertation Concerning the Antiquity of the Hebrew Language, Letters, Vowel-Points, and Accents available online at godrules.net

I'm going to be busy reading a while.

Hey, Daniel, your post made me curious and I Googled this topic and found a most interesting article. I think you'll like it.

SACRED NAME MOVEMENT
ERRORS
ABOUT YAHWEH AND YAHSHUA

We had a guy come visit a church I used to attend that was into this "sacred name" stuff. He started showing his literature to some of the (ignorant) members and a brother who has a ironclad grasp on the scriptures took him to task. He thought we was well equipped, but ol' Tony dismantled his "sacred name" theory right there in front of everyone. It was great. He wasn't ugly to the guy, just thorough.

"He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them. . . " Isaiah 40:11
Find all posts by this user
09-07-2010, 05:50 PM
 (Print Post)
(09-07-2010 04:54 PM)a pilgrim Wrote:  Hey, Daniel, your post made me curious and I Googled this topic and found a most interesting article. I think you'll like it.

SACRED NAME MOVEMENT
ERRORS
ABOUT YAHWEH AND YAHSHUA

We had a guy come visit a church I used to attend that was into this "sacred name" stuff. He started showing his literature to some of the (ignorant) members and a brother who has a ironclad grasp on the scriptures took him to task. He thought we was well equipped, but ol' Tony dismantled his "sacred name" theory right there in front of everyone. It was great. He wasn't ugly to the guy, just thorough.

And that is why we should be 'well versed' in the Bible. Without knowledge of God's word, we are a sitting duck for any false doctrine that is presented to us.

Knit
Please pray for Wesley, Ron, for Matthew, Eleanor & John and Rod for salvation! Pray Pray for Delores, Drew, Lynne, William, Heather, Marty, Noel, Laura, Ben and Shelly
Please check out our prayer chain here
ISRAEL
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem
“We will have peace with the Arabs when they love their children more than they hate us.” - Golda Meir
09-07-2010, 09:32 PM
 (Print Post)
Thanks for the link, I'm checking it out.

(09-07-2010 04:54 PM)a pilgrim Wrote:  Hey, Daniel, your post made me curious and I Googled this topic and found a most interesting article. I think you'll like it.

SACRED NAME MOVEMENT
ERRORS
ABOUT YAHWEH AND YAHSHUA

09-07-2010, 09:32 PM
 (Print Post)
I didn't know there was a sacred name movement.Gosh there's so much I don't know.
So what's this all about Daniel I wouldn't like to fall for something I shouldn't if it pops up in the future.
09-07-2010, 09:36 PM
 (Print Post)
Didn't someone recently post some stuff about Jesus being derived from Zeus?
Is that related to this, or is that a different topic?

09-07-2010, 09:54 PM
 (Print Post)
I'm just now really digging into it, but apparently in the late 1800's and early 1900's some unsaved German higher critics along with some Catholic scholars decided that the JHVH (Jehovah) name for God was wrong and that it really should be YHWH (Yahweh) and now there are satanic books that are being passed off as Bibles that say Yahweh instead of Jehovah or LORD. Many Christian Bible teachers and scholars are falling for and repeating this tripe. The children's Sunday School material published by LifeWay (i.e. Southern Baptist) and the Holman Christian Standard Bible (i.e. Southern Baptist) perpetuate the lie.

There are numerous problems with Yahweh and why it is wrong, but the main problem is that the YAH names such as Yaho, Yahu, Ya-ve, Yahweh, are names of pagan baal gods of Canaan and Syria.

The Sacred Name garbage are people claiming that you are not really saved if you prayed to God or Jesus, because that is not their real names and until you pray to their real names you can't really be saved. Of course, the real problem with this is, that people who pray to Yahweh and Yashua are praying to pagan false gods.

It is sick, It is satanic, and I am really not happy right now. I am so disgusted with pseudo christian scholarship right now.

(09-07-2010 09:32 PM)MrsHayseed Wrote:  I didn't know there was a sacred name movement.Gosh there's so much I don't know.
So what's this all about Daniel I wouldn't like to fall for something I shouldn't if it pops up in the future.

09-07-2010, 10:00 PM
 (Print Post)
(09-06-2010 02:41 PM)Daniel Wrote:  Brethren, a situation has arisen at church and I am interested in materials denouncing the erroneous belief that Yahweh is a name of our God. LifeWay Christian Resources, Bible Teaching for Kids and the Holman Christian Standard Bible (or more precisely Horribly Corrupt & Satanic Bible) are perpetuating this gross lie. G.A. Riplinger in In Awe of the Word has an excellent chapter devoted to this topic and I plan to use it for much of my apology; however, I would like to incorporate some other materials and would also appreciate some discussion in this forum on the topic.

Interesting. I recently saw an ad for the HCSB in a magazine and they were trying to give the impression that the HCSB was a superior translation because it used the word "Yahweh".

~craig

Greece invited the cultured
Rome bid the strong
Judah bid the devout
Christ bids all come.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  God wants you to get your flu shot Lynne 44 29,309 06-13-2012 07:54 AM
Last Post: defman
  Christian Leaders Invite Muslims to Love God, Neighbors Together CKG 2 1,260 11-22-2010 03:19 PM
Last Post: Samuel Pickens
  "The Worldwide Church of God" is now orthodox Ronnie 1 799 02-27-2010 10:45 AM
Last Post: William